The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried RN..
Aug 28, 2011

Hi Ma'am, I'm a registered nurse here in the Philippines,Im 25y/o,healthy and actively into sports. I just recently donated blood at chapter of Red Cross. They have told me that I am positive with HBV. Im wondering how I got the HBV knowing that i got my vaccines and boosters when i was born assured by my mother who is also a nurse and the one who gave me those shots. Last April 2011, i was ultrasound and my liver has no focal lesion and diffused fats.

I am worried that what if I cant get rid of this HBV in my system. And I'm concerned that I might have infected my girlfriend for 3yrs and counting. And also I red the co-infection of HBV and HIV. would I be infected with it also?

Please enlighten me Ma'am

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would get records of your hepatitis B testing to see what they found. I would also get a full panel of hepatitis B testing by your physician.

About 5 percent of all blood donors have false positive testing for hepatitis B. That could be the case in you. If this is the case, you will see a non-reactive HB surface antigen, a reactive core antibody and a non-reactive hepatitis B surface antibody...(this is called isolated core).

On the other hand, you could have a surface antibody that is reactive from your prior vaccine...In this case, you may just have evidence of a reactive surface antibody.

I suspect there are some confusing laboratories here and would not panic about this...

Coexistence of Antigen and Antibody
Please help make sense of Sisters Story

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint