HIV and/or now Hep C or nothing?

I have had severe symptoms in someting that I thought was HIV for the last 7 months.

It is a long story with lots of testing included.

Still tests HIV negative in antibody and PCR testing.

CD 4 in 300-400 range and now 400-500 range, severe tiredness, headache, sore throat etc etc..

Suddenly I test positive for Lyme, IgM..?? and then positive for Hep C, two bands and the following test only one band.. HCV PCR negative..

Enlarged spleen, AST 43, ALT 49 ...

Now waiting for second PCR for HCV..

Could it be a co infection? Late seroconverter of HIV?

Please help!

I am happy to hear that your HIV antibody and viral load testing are negative. However, your case sounds quite complex because of the enlarged spleen. If your CD4 percentage is normal but your absolute CD4 count is low, this could be related to an enlarged spleen. You will want to look at the results of both tests to see if this is the case.

We have shown that CD4 absolute counts can be low in a person with normal CD4 percentages if they have liver disease (McGovern Clinical Infectious Diseases). However your HCV PCR testing have been negative. Your HCV antibody testing is somewhat confusing but without virus in your blood you would not be at risk for liver disease no matter what. To be complete, you should have a blood test for hepatitis B as well.

I think you should see a specialist in infectious diseases because of your fatigue, headache sore throat and question of a Lyme IgM antibody test.....However, an enlarged spleen is not a major manifestation of Lyme, so further evaluation by an infectious disease expert is needed for more evaluation....

If there is no clear answer you may need to see another specialist to help explain your enlarged spleen.

I hope this is helpful.

female oral sex hep c
Am I at risk for Hep C??