Co-infected HIV/HCV - Atripla

Dear Dr. McGovern,

My HIV is under control, however my hepatitis is not being treated. I was taking Pegays which brought the hcv v/L number down to 5,000 but stopped working. My liver doctor says there has not been any trials with Atripla and other hep c drugs. My doctor is a renound Liver specialist in New York city. Do you know if anyone is expermenting with any other type of Hepatitis C and are taking Atripla. My doctor indicated he does not want to be the first to try a new hcv drug for me until others have experimented and proven safe. My hcv V/L is approximate 9mm and Hiv T count approx 900. Do you know of any other studies that are being does with HCV with Atripla. He does not want me to be the first to try a new hcv drug until other studeis have been done with people like me taking HIV.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Deb

For HIV/HCV coinfected patients there will be new data out very soon on the use of telaprevir plus pegylated interferon plus ribavirin for the treatment of HCV in treatment naive patients.

This trial has already shown that 12 weeks of treatment of triple therapy with telaprevir led to viral suppression in 68% of patients compared to 14% in the pegylated interferon/ribavirin arm....We don't have the final results yet, but these preliminary findings are really exciting.

Also good news for you and others....The background HIV medications were either Atripla or Reyataz plus Truvada. Thus, your doctor will have more information on which medications can be combined with telaprevir. When taking telaprevir with Atripla, you must increase the telaprevir dose since the Atripla has a drug interaction with telaprevir. However, the drug manufacturer has already figured out what dose you will need on Atripla.

It is important to know that telaprevir needs to be taken three times daily with a fatty snack (like 3 tablespoons of peanut butter or some mixed nuts).

Hope this information is helpful to you.

HepA and HIV? Please Answer Doctor.
HIV/HCV 6 months conculsive? Co-infection