About your answer regarding transaminasas

Thank you for your previous answer, but you leave me a little bit worried because if transaminasas (sorry spelling-Im Spanish) do NOT determine the state of my liver, how, without a liver biopsia which is never done at our hospitals, can I know if I am progressing? - I feel ok, and as I told you Im hep C + more than 16 years now and have never been treated. Do you think regardless how I feel I should start treatment? - Is there any other value in my periodical blood tests that could give me an idea of what is going on? - Thank you again for your time.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Unfortunately, there is no other way to determine prognosis than liver biopsy. By the time the blood tets show anything, you already would have cirrhosis. If you can't get a liver biopsy, then you have to make the treatment decision based on other facts. It is silly to lull yourself into a false sense of security with AST and ALT. Good luck with your decision! DTD

0 stage fibrosis/what next? sit and wait?
Is it mortal?