Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV / HBV Coinfection
Aug 2, 2011

Hi, I am being treated both infections for 5 years now. Both viruses are under detection level since then. Now I am kind of worried as I "heard" that HBV progresses over 15 times faster with HIV eventhough the virus can not be detected at the moment. I am really scared to get liver cancer. what are you new results of the research at the moment? Is there any chance that HBV can be treated as a chronic desease like HIV in my situation?

Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. McGovern

The fact that your viruses are both undetected is FANTASTIC news!

The risk of developing liver cancer is EXTREMELY low the longer you stay nondetectable. The risk of liver cancer is higher in older persons, persons with a close blood relative with liver cancer. Also the higher the level of virus the increased risk of disease.

I would simply get monitoring every 6 months with an alfa feto protein blood test and an ultrasound of the liver.

Keep up the good work!

Previous
Coinfection support groups
Next
HIV/ HCV antibody test conculuve 6 months?? Pregnant and scared!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.