HIV and Hep B medications

Hi Doc,

Both of my parents is diagnosed HIV+ (both of my parents has herpes, and my father has hepatitis B) only because of the ELISA test that they took was positive and have not yet been confirmed by Western blot test(which the result will be out in a month), so the Doctor already told my parents to start their medications which are : 1. Staviral stavudine 2. Hiviral lamivudine 3. Efavirenz comprimes 600mg

My question is : 1. Is it safe to take the medication before they really are positive ? 2. My father has Hepatitis B, I read that the medications of HIV might worsen the Hepatitis B infection ? 3. If the Western Blot test came out Negative, Should they continue to take these medications ?

The Doctor also told my parents that if the WB test is negative that they should continue to take their medications, because the HIV virus might be "Sleeping" and if they don't take their medications the virus might get worst if it "Waken up". Why would the Doctor insisted that my parents should keep taking their medication ? Please help Doc, I don't want my parents to end up with the wrong prescription. Thanks doc

I have to say that I am completely confused.

1. The HIV test result by Western Blot should be ready way before a month has passed.

2. Stavudine is no longer recommended in the US or Europe. If your parents are living in the US, they need to find another doctor.

3. If your father has HBV chronic infection, he should be getting Truvada, not lamivudine alone

If you are near a large university hospital, see if you can find an expert in HIV medicine.

Hiv and Hepatitis test cancel each other out
new hep c treatment