|Hep C and Menstruation
Aug 2, 2011
About a month ago I had unprotected sex while menstruating. I have been checked for STI's and nothing has come up that way. I am worried that I may have contracted Hep C from this. What is the likelihood that I have contracted Hep C?
Response from Dr. McGovern
HCV is uncommonly transmitted through sex. It is more commonly transmitted among men who have sex with men, particularly if there is any anal trauma.
I am not aware of any study to suggest that your risk of acquiring HCV would be higher during menses. You can get HCV antibody tested at around 3 months if you want to be certain, but you will probably be negative.
Elevated ALT levels from Labwork
- Is Hairy Tongue A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Is Rectal Bleeding A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Blood In Semen After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Vaginal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Foreplay Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Swallowing Blood Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.