The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HEP C transmission through semen in the eye
Jul 16, 2011

Dear Dr. McGovern, Please answer my question! Im desperate! Someone criminally threw semen in my eye. I tested negative for HCV after 2 months, and also tested negative for HIV after 3 months. As my CD4 is now 312 and my CD8 128, CD4/CD8 1.8, I started to vent the possibility of co-infection, and this explains why I have not yet tested HIV positive in the Elisa tests: delayed seroconversion due to co-infection). Now I feel some liver pain in my upper right abdomen quadrant when I press it. Based on this info, you think that there is a chance of HCV transmission through this route? 2. Should I get tested for HCV again? 3. Why are my CD4 and CD8 so low, considering that I am HIV negative. Do you think I should also re-test for HIV after 6 months of exposure? I am anxiously awaiting your reply as I very much rely on your medical advice. Many Thanks!

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not expect you to become infected after this exposure. It deserves follow-up, but is very low risk. Once I started the testing process I always continue to six months.

I don't understand why your CD4 and CD4 counts are both low. But your ratio is not consistent with HIV. You may want to ask your doctor if your total white count is low as well. There could be many explanations for this.

Please mrs McGovern, I need your help/ advice. (Sander, from Holland)
Is Repeat Testing Warranted?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint