Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please mrs McGovern, I need your help/ advice. (Sander, from Holland)
Jul 16, 2011

Im Sander, a 37 year old man from Holland. Sorry for my sometimes not so well English. After one time unsafe sex I had classical HIV-infection symptoms as:

- weight loss (from 83 till 77 kg). This weight loss happened in the first six weeks after this mistake. A little later (from week 7-week 12), there were symptoms as: nightsweats, herpes zoster in the groin and much transpirating in general. However, its now over one year later and I ve been tested 10 times at different hospitalslabs in Holland and all tests (EIAs) came back negative. Various rapid tests came also back negative. The last test was 12 months and 3 weeks after this accident in may 2010. Butt these symptoms are so anxious, Im now so confused. Theres now one thing in my mind. The unsafe sex happened with a man (truck driver) from Turkey. Ive learned on the website avert.org that there are different subtypes of HIV-1, one subtype originally called I: A virus isolated in Cyprus was originally placed in a new subtype I, before being reclassified as a recombinant form A/G/I. It is now thought that this virus represents an even more complex CRF comprised of subtypes A, G, H, K and unclassified regions. The designation "I" is no longer used.4 (www.avert.org)

Now, my questions are: - can it be that Im infected with this subtype of the virus, as Cyprus and Turkey are close - more important: can it be that if Im infected with this rarer sybtype, is it possible that EIA (or Elisa) antibody tests dont respond well - in that case: would a DNA PCR test bring clarity? And: what else should I do to have peace in my mind again?

Sincerely, Sander

Response from Dr. McGovern

Please refer your HIV questions to the HIV forum. I answer questions related to hepatitis in persons with and without HIV.

You are HIV negative - that is great news. I would not recommend any more tests for HIV unless a NEW exposure occurs. You may want to discuss your anxiety with your physician so he or she can help you with that.

Previous
HBV DNA not detected (2nd post)
Next
HEP C transmission through semen in the eye

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.