Please mrs McGovern, I need your help/ advice. (Sander, from Holland)

Im Sander, a 37 year old man from Holland. Sorry for my sometimes not so well English. After one time unsafe sex I had classical HIV-infection symptoms as:

- weight loss (from 83 till 77 kg). This weight loss happened in the first six weeks after this mistake. A little later (from week 7-week 12), there were symptoms as: nightsweats, herpes zoster in the groin and much transpirating in general. However, its now over one year later and I ve been tested 10 times at different hospitalslabs in Holland and all tests (EIAs) came back negative. Various rapid tests came also back negative. The last test was 12 months and 3 weeks after this accident in may 2010. Butt these symptoms are so anxious, Im now so confused. Theres now one thing in my mind. The unsafe sex happened with a man (truck driver) from Turkey. Ive learned on the website avert.org that there are different subtypes of HIV-1, one subtype originally called I: A virus isolated in Cyprus was originally placed in a new subtype I, before being reclassified as a recombinant form A/G/I. It is now thought that this virus represents an even more complex CRF comprised of subtypes A, G, H, K and unclassified regions. The designation "I" is no longer used.4 (www.avert.org)

Now, my questions are: - can it be that Im infected with this subtype of the virus, as Cyprus and Turkey are close - more important: can it be that if Im infected with this rarer sybtype, is it possible that EIA (or Elisa) antibody tests dont respond well - in that case: would a DNA PCR test bring clarity? And: what else should I do to have peace in my mind again?

Sincerely, Sander

Please refer your HIV questions to the HIV forum. I answer questions related to hepatitis in persons with and without HIV.

You are HIV negative - that is great news. I would not recommend any more tests for HIV unless a NEW exposure occurs. You may want to discuss your anxiety with your physician so he or she can help you with that.

HBV DNA not detected (2nd post)
HEP C transmission through semen in the eye