Hep B resistance?

I recently attended a seminar on HIV and Hep coinfection. The speaker to me that there is a possibility of viral drug resistance. This is the first I've heard of this. He also said that there was a blood test available to check. My HIV doctor was unaware of this. Is the test something you would recommend and is it something that would routinely be covered my medicare?

The speaker is correct that there are ways to check for hepatitis B resistance. If you are on lamivudine or emtricitabine and continue to have detectable virus after a long period of treatment, you may indeed have drug resistance.

The good news is that tenofovir (Viread) also contained in Truvada, will still work, whether you have lamivudine resistance or not....Studies show excellent outcomes in HIV:/HBV coinfected patients.

Hepatitis affects the outcome of hiv test ?
Can you get hepatitis from toilet water splash back?