Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis B infection
Jul 2, 2011

I asked you previously the same q, but needed to put the whole info i had.You mentioned I probably had it, its cleared now.Now i am also adding a few more tests done. Thanks for your previous reply. God bless you for doing a great job for humanity. My HBsAg is nonreactive, HBcAB Total is reactive, HBsAB is borderline. For confirmation , the Physician ordered the following tests. Real time PCR 1)Heptititis B Virus DNA is in range. Hep B Viral DNA is <29 n <169.Ref range is ,<29 and <169copies/ml. 2)HBcAB(IgM) nonreactive. HBcAB Total W/Reflex IgM and HBcAB Total are Reactive.

My Liver function tests are normal.My Hb, HCTn the rest CBC are normal. My platelets are slightly reduced(L 113 specimen checked for clots;none found),referance range for platelets is 130-400X10^3/uL Based on the above mentioned information, Do i have Hepatitis B Infection. If i had it and its cleared now, Do I need to be vaccinated against hepatitis B infection.

Response from Dr. McGovern

My answer is the same. You had it but it has cleared. I knew your DNA would be negative because your surface antigen is non reactive.

You will need to ask your physician why your platelets are a bit low. You should first repeat the test to see if the result is the same.

You should also have testing for HCV and HAV.

The HBV vaccine is to prevent the infection, but you don't need that now since you were already infected in the past.

Previous
Please please reply to my HepB questions
Next
Its HCV again

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.