Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doctor, I need you opinion and advise.
May 15, 2011

Doctor, I need you help am very concerned with my current situation. I am afraid that I have Hep C and HIV co infection. I have posted with Dr Frasciano as well and he has told me that after 38 weeks of testing that there is no way no how that I have HIV but can you please read my situation and respond. I have tested Elisa and Rapid HIV test negative out to 40 weeks after a risk incident. I have also tested HCV antibody negative out to 40 weeks after the incident. My symptoms however have me convinced that these are false negative results. I have had elevated liver enzymes for over 6 months now, persitant pain, discomfort in my upper abdominal area, belching, darker urine, itchy skin, my stomach feels and looks bloated and I have excess gas as well. My hands also go numb at night and I have a lot of lower back pain. I am showing almost every symptom of Hep C infection. I have been told that if you did not suffer from acute Hep C that the HIV tests are accurate but if the antibody tests for Hep C are not accurate because of coinfection then how can you rule out Hep C. Everyone I talk to talks in circles and it is frustrating. I believe my body has already told me the answer as nothing else could explain what is happening to my body. What do you think and suggest?

Response from Dr. McGovern

You may not be feeling well - I will not deny that.

But hepatitis and HIV are not the cause of your symptoms. That I can assure you.

You should continue to have evaluation of your liver function tests if they remain abnormal. One of the most common causes now for elevated liver function tests is fatty liver, which can be associated with obesity, diabetes or increased cholesterol/triglycerides.

Previous
contraction from a pin prick
Next
Hep C test results after exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.