Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv Meds 1st Time
May 13, 2011

I received a positive result in 2007 and my CD4 was 900 and Viral Load over 100K. I recently went to the doctors and my CD4 is 469 and Viral load 18,000. She stated that it is time to start meds. I was also diag with Hep B. She prescribed Atripla. The pills are very large. I am afraid to take the pills because of there size and possiable side effects. This is very depressing for me. I would appreciate any reassurances about these meds.

Response from Dr. McGovern

For a patient with HIV and HBV, Atripla is a great choice. It is dually active against both viruses. I would also recommend ultrasound monitoring of your liver every six months and alfa feto protein testing.

Let your doctor know if you are having problems swallowing the pills. Most patients adjust to starting new medications but this is a major step for you. There is often an adjustment period to taking medications for life - just like any patient with diabetes or high blood pressure. But you can do it.

Previous
HEPB & HIV - Truvada resistance
Next
open wound hepatitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.