Hiv Meds 1st Time

I received a positive result in 2007 and my CD4 was 900 and Viral Load over 100K. I recently went to the doctors and my CD4 is 469 and Viral load 18,000. She stated that it is time to start meds. I was also diag with Hep B. She prescribed Atripla. The pills are very large. I am afraid to take the pills because of there size and possiable side effects. This is very depressing for me. I would appreciate any reassurances about these meds.

For a patient with HIV and HBV, Atripla is a great choice. It is dually active against both viruses. I would also recommend ultrasound monitoring of your liver every six months and alfa feto protein testing.

Let your doctor know if you are having problems swallowing the pills. Most patients adjust to starting new medications but this is a major step for you. There is often an adjustment period to taking medications for life - just like any patient with diabetes or high blood pressure. But you can do it.

HEPB & HIV - Truvada resistance
open wound hepatitis