|Increase platelet count
Apr 23, 2011
Is there a way to increase the platelet count for a Hepatitis C patient with stage four liver cirrhosis?
Response from Dr. McGovern
Your platelet count is probably low because your spleen is holding on the platelets because your spleen has enlarged.
There is a growth factor for platelets that is approved in cancer patients, but its safety in liver disease is unknown.
I would also encourage you to talk to your doctor to see if I have correctly assumed that you have low platelets from "hypersplenism" - a big spleen.
Co-infection Exposure and Exactly 12 months negative! *Modification
Hep B Core Ab IgM positive & HbsAg screen -negative
- Pain In Penis After Touching Vaginal Fluid Worried I Have HIV
- Red Eyes After Erotic Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Giving Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Testicular Pain After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.