Hep B results for me and my baby

Hi, I got a very good answer from Dr McGovern but now I wanted to add that my testresults came back but I couldnt figure out how to reply so it will be a new question. Below is the previous question and answer. Anyway, I got my test results back and it was non reactive for surface antigen, reactive for Core total and the Surface antigen antibody (HbS) said >1000, patient have immunity against Hepatitis B. My Ob said that it means I had Hep B and then got immune and that I can not infect others and can not get it again. He said it could not be chronic because then my surface antigen would be positive all the time and there would be no HbS. But he doesnt understand my babies results (negative surface antigen, positive core antibody and HbS >1000) since I cant transmitt the positive core antibody to him. So we are going to a specialist with him. What could be the worst case scenario? I thought that since the surface antigen is negative for me and I am immune to hep B that I could NOT infect others but how could the results be what they are in my baby then? I am so worried I gave my baby Hep B and now he will get the chronic Hep B. Is my Ob wrong in saying I could not transmit the Core antibody to my baby and that is the answer why my baby has it? I know I am all over the place but this has me so worried that I have given my baby Hep B and since he is a baby he will get the chronic hep B :(. Then someone said I could have a mutant (?) version of it and depending on the test how sensitive it is it will look as I dont have it but will be a carrier and can infect others anyway. Is that really true? Help? (please see below for the question I asked first and got answered).

puzzling hep B result for myinfant Mar 20, 2011

After giving birth to my baby and sending of the cord blood to a cordbank I received a letter that they had done 2 tests regarding Hep B; surface antigen and core antibody. I tested negative for surface antigen but positive for core antibody. I didnt remember ever been exposed but I requested medical files and noted that in August 1991 I was exposed and tested positive for surface antigen and 2 weeks later I tested negative for surface antigen and the same for the next 2 months and then it was "written of" as resolved. I freaked out and was tested again (results not back) and had my baby tested. His results are back and it said his surface antigen was negative, his surface antigen antibody was positive but that his core antibody was also positive. I am very puzzled by this results. To add; I was also tested in beginning of pregnancy and my surface antigen was negative, my baby is 1 month and did receive the vaccine the day he was born. Help please

Response from Dr. McGovern Here are my answers to your questions and concerns....

As for you....I would simply check to see if your surface antibody is also positive. If so...you cleared the virus in the past and would not be at risk of passing hepatitis B to your baby or your spouse. I suspect that your episode of infection in 1991 resulted in clearance of the virus.

As for your baby....The positive core may represent passive transfer of the antibody from you to your baby....I suspect that will be negative in about a year.

Your baby was immunized at birth....There must have been some concern about passing hepatitis B infection...However, with a negative surface antigen in you, I would not consider this a risk....

Hepatitis B serologies are very confusing...However, again, with a HBsAg that is negative, I want to assure you that your baby will be fine.

Your OB is correct. You were exposed in the past and you are not at risk of infecting others.

Your babies blood tests do NOT suggest chronic infection. The HBsAg is nonreactive. GREAT NEWS.

There was no reason to check the core antibody in the first place. I suspect it will be non reactive next year. Probably just represents passive transfer of antibody from you....

Hepatitis B
Safe Cleansing of Earrings