Occupational exposure, would really appreciate your opinion!

Hi Dr. Mcgovern, I am an intern working in Ireland at the moment. Was putting an IV line in a patient 2 weeks ago. She started to bleed around the line after I had taken off my gloves. Some of the blood got onto my hand. I had a 3 day old, tiny 1mm x 2mm scab on my knuckle which the blood may or may not have touched. I washed my hands straight away. I took the scab off the day after and the skin was intact underneath.

Would you have considered this an open wound and do you think testing is warranted, I'm unsure of the HEPC status of the patient but would presume on the balance of probability that she probably was probably negative.

Thank you so much, M.

I would not consider you at risk.

Just for the future....I would always ask your employee health about any risk FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION....You always want to document any of these events.

In the meantime, be certain to check your hepatitis B surface antibody, if you have not done so before, to be certain that you are at least protected against HBV.

hiv and hcv coinfection
type 2b normal viral load