co-infection HIV and HCV , delay window periode

Dear Dr. McGovern I had unprotected sex with a sex worker, I had negative antibodies test for HIV for 1, 3, 5 and 8 after high risk exposure, I had liver enzyme test ALT:120 and AST 43 in 11 weeks after exposure, I scared for HCV and HBV, so I had negative antibodies test for HBV and HCV, I read co-infection HIV and HCV cause to delay in window period for HCV and HIV, so I retest negative HCV RNA Test ( detection limit 600copies/ml) and negative antibodies HCV 13 month after exposure, Do you think I need another test? Regards

No you do not need any further testing.

Also, I would NOT have tested you past 6 months. The issue of late testing for HIV infection only occurs if you have definitely first acquired acute HCV. Since that did not happen, you didn't have to be retested at 12 months for HIV.

To summarize: Testing for HIV and HCV should be at routine intervals.

HOWEVER....IF....you had acquired HCV infection, repeat testing for HIV infection should occur at 12 months to rule out late seroconversion.....This is due to a rare case report of a healthcare worker who tested positive for HIV at 12 months. This is a RARE occurrence.

I hope this is helpful.

21 days later - negative result
hiv and hcv coinfection