Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

testing time frame for HCV RNA
Mar 28, 2011

hi dr, have a good day. I've read in one UK HCV guidelines, that if you are faced with an isolated incident of exposure to HCV blood (infected, or strongly suspected of being infected, with HCV), you should get tested for HCV RNA testing at 6, 12 and 24 weeks and anti-HCV testing at 12 and 24 weeks.my question is that: why these time frames are being selected, does the virus only appears in blood and becomes detectable at these times, what happens if you got tested outside these time frames and you are negative more than once. thank you for your kinddness

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would say that guidelines do vary in the testing algorithms because these are only educated guesses.

However, testing for both RNA and antibody as far out as 24 weeks seems expensive to me without clear benefit. After exposure, the vast majority of persons acquire virus in their blood in 2 to 6 weeks and seroconversion occurs by about 12 weeks. Of course, there is a small percentage of persons who seroconvert later so antibody testing at later time points is certainly reasonable at 24 weeks. I would not personally recommend RNA testing at 24 weeks.

Previous
Hepatitis B :treatment with Pegasys
Next
Definition of non-intact skin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.