Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Routes of entry
Mar 28, 2011

Hi Doc, could you please inform me of different routes of entry for hepatitis c/ hiv? I have messaged you about blood coming into contact with cuts and such and you said it is a very low risk. Does a big amount of infected blood have to get directly in your viens or how does it work? Does the blood on cuts act as a barrier? This information would be very helpful

Thanks!

Response from Dr. McGovern

HCV is mainly transmitted via injection drug use as is HIV. However, HCV is more readily transmitted through shared injection drug use than HIV.

HCV transmission through sex occurs but less commonly than HIV. HCV transmission through sex has been reported more commonly among men who have sex with men in association with genital ulcers or traumatic anal sex. This again emphasizes the importance of blood to blood contact.

HCV and HIV transmission have occasionally been reported to occur with a human bite or through a traumatic fist fight. We just reported a case of HCV transmission via this route. However this is only the second case to be reported in such a route in 10 years. The skin is a very protective organ, but when violated, and if there is an opportunity for mixing of blood, there is an opportunity for transmission. But as you can see, this is quite rare.

Previous
MY CD count is meagre 4. Am i on right path.
Next
Hepatitis B :treatment with Pegasys

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.