CV Genotype 3B- in continuation to my q on 26- Nov-10

26.Nov.10 Old Query: I have been diagnosed incidentally for HEP C genotype 3b and my viral load is 407302 copies/ mL in the PCR Test (gene amplification technique (ROCHE Cobas- Amplicor HCV version 2.0.)) Is this a high load. Currently being treated with Ribavarin(600mg twice a day) and Pegasys (once a week). 7.Feb.11 Old Query: Touch Wood, as advised by you regarding my mail dated 26. Nov. 2010, my 4th week PCR was <15UL/ ml but said positive. (1) What does this mean? I am very confused and very anxious to receive your valuable advice in this regard. 12-Feb-2011 Old Query: Many Thanks for your most valuable clarifications. Further to your query regarding the dosage, I remember my Doc telling me that he is prescribing a BMI based dosage. Regarding the side effects I am having occational itching as the side effect, along with dipression, and short temper. Regarding the dosage my I remember my doctor telling me that he is giving it based on my BMI. As far as the duration is concerened, he as advised me 6 months, as mentioned by you & would confirm the same on seeing the successive good progression of the treatment. Does male sperm carry HCV virus? please adise. Thanks in advance for your valuable advise. 27.Mar.2011 New Query Further to your answer that "Yes HCV can be isolated in male genital secretions; however, HCV is not found in the sperm cells themselves but in the fluids around the cells" (1)please advise if there is a posibility to transmit the virus to the child. Is a ordinary test ok or do I have to do any type of other special tests as done on me. Because the Doc here did a regular (card test) and the result was fine by gods' blessings. (2)By the grase of god and your blessings I have achived a negative with no virus at the 12th week. Does this mean that I am completey cured (the virus has cleared completely and will never again come back). Awaiting your valuable reply in this regard. The same test as mentioned above was done during the 12th week too.

I am not sure if you are saying that you have finished 12 weeks of treatment...If so, you should be treated for another 12 weeks if you are tolerating therapy.

If you have already finished 6 months of therapy and 12 weeks off treatment you have no detectable virus, this will be great news. Yes this would suggest that you are cured of HCV. The standard time to check is 6 months after treatment completion. However, studies suggest that 12 weeks of waiting after treatment is just as good.

Likelihood of HCV infection via straight edge @ barbershop
Tests Negative