Chance Of Infection - Am Losing my Mind - Please Answer

HIV Testing at work - Possible Infection, Losing my Mind Feb 25, 2011

Hi

I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer as I am losing my mind.

At our place of work, we had a day for voluntary HIV testing. I went in after many other people. After speaking to the nurse, she told me a few people had tested positive and showed me what a positive rapid test result looked like. It was a specimen from that same day.I am not sure if it was from the person that preceded me.

All the used tests were kept in a refrigerator. After touching the used test, she took a new lancet and poked my finger to draw a drop of blood. She did not wash her hands after touching the used test, or testing the previous person.

Do I have any risk from the following:

Blood on her hands from the previous person, or the used test going into the site where she pricked me with the lancet? She may have gotten infected blood on her hands from the positive rapid test.

She squeezed my finger after pricking me, to draw the drop. After, she gave me a dressing to place over the prick to stop the blood. Could the dressing she gave me have gotten blood onto it that could of been on her hands and subsequently gotten into my prick site?

I did not notice any blood on her hands, but I may have missed it.

Please reply, and let me know if I am at any risk for contracting HIV, due to her maybe having blood on her hands from the previous patient, or the used test she showed me that was HIV positive.

I really am losing my mind, and your help would be most appreciated.

I am getting married and would not want to put my partner at any risk.

I am in a country with one of the world highest rates of HIV, if that makes any difference.

Is testing warranted? Should I delay the wedding?

Thank You

Please refer all HIV questions to the HIV forum.

No I would not consider you at risk and would not recommend testing.

hep c
HEP C