Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood testing gone wrong....
Mar 3, 2011

Doctor:

I went to get blood drawn from a lab. I was so nervous I wasnt even thinking straight. The lady who took my blood touched the site of the stick to find the vain. She had no gloves on! She opened the package with the tube and needle in front of me without gloves. The needle was covered by a plastic sheild. She did not remove that sheild untill she finally put gloves on.

Could part of that needle have been exposed when it was covered? Could she have touched an infected counter top before she had touched my arm? I am so worried about Hep B, C and Hiv. I am also very conered about getting sepsis from this. She did not even use iodine to clean the area, just a sterile wipe. How worried should I be right now?? It's eating me up inside...

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not be worried at all.

Sometimes if it is difficult to feel a vein, a phlebotomist will first feel for the vein with an ungloved finger. This is not a concern for a simple blood draw. Also an alcohol wipe is all that is needed to prep the area of skin.

The situation would be much different for a more invasive test. However, for taking a simple blood test, there was nothing unusual here.

Previous
VERY WORRIED PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO
Next
Hepatitis C possible exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.