Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VERY WORRIED PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO
Feb 26, 2011

Hello, I'm 18 and happy to have found this site that can guide concerns like mine. I greatly value your time and would appreciate if you could answer each of my questions. Ok, my mom has a friend who's being tested for Hep B, Hep C and HIV, I'm not sure why but I know she's waiting for results. Anyway, this friend always greets me with a cheek to cheek hug and kiss. Recently we did this greeting within 30 minutes of me popping a nasty pimple on my cheek that bled quite a bit and had a lot of junk come out because it was big (sorry I know gross) not sure how healed the skin would be on a big pimple after 30 minutes. Well after I greeted her I noticed she had some dry blood on her cheek and she said she had also popped a couple pimples about an hour earlier, so about 30 minutes before me. If our popped pimples touched and I got some of her not too old blood on me and she does end up having hepatitis B/C or HIV can I be infected this way? Would this be considered an open wound? This incident also got me thinking because I greet many people this way, and unfortunately I often pop pimples, is this a risk behavior? What if I greet a guy who cut himself shaving or any other similar scenario? Should I stop cheek to cheek hugging and kissing as many people don't know their disease status right away and I'm always popping pimples on my face? Please advise as I'm very nervous about this, thank you very much.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I do not consider this a risk. Blood to blood exposure usually means injection drug use where the blood from a contaminated needle is injected directly into a vein.

Previous
Is touching eyes HEP B risk?
Next
Blood testing gone wrong....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.