Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

im not trusting my doctor at the moment
Feb 24, 2011

Hello,

My hep C treatment did not work and I had a break through of the viral load. The doctor told me to stop taking medication and wait for the new treatment next year. The Viral load was at 21,000. Should I have been tested again to make sure that it was indeed a break through and not just a miscalculation of the machine? The clinic only did blood work once. I am afraid that I stopped taking the medication too soon. Also should you treat HIV and HEP C together or separately? My doctor said that it was difficult to treat them together because of the side effects and medication interactions.

Response from Dr. McGovern

If you broke through I would definitely stop and wait for better drugs. However, the fact that you did initially respond is good news since you should do very well in the future with triple therapy. We just need to wait for information on HIV/HCV coinfection. Trials are in progress.

If you do not need HIV treatment (eg, your CD4 cells are >500) then it may be easier to treat without going on HIV treatment yet. However, if your CD4 cells are <500, I would lean towards treatment with HIV at this point.

You should discuss further with your provider.

Previous
Am I immune?
Next
hepatitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.