im not trusting my doctor at the moment

My hep C treatment did not work and I had a break through of the viral load. The doctor told me to stop taking medication and wait for the new treatment next year. The Viral load was at 21,000. Should I have been tested again to make sure that it was indeed a break through and not just a miscalculation of the machine? The clinic only did blood work once. I am afraid that I stopped taking the medication too soon. Also should you treat HIV and HEP C together or separately? My doctor said that it was difficult to treat them together because of the side effects and medication interactions.

If you broke through I would definitely stop and wait for better drugs. However, the fact that you did initially respond is good news since you should do very well in the future with triple therapy. We just need to wait for information on HIV/HCV coinfection. Trials are in progress.

If you do not need HIV treatment (eg, your CD4 cells are >500) then it may be easier to treat without going on HIV treatment yet. However, if your CD4 cells are <500, I would lean towards treatment with HIV at this point.

You should discuss further with your provider.

Am I immune?
hepatitis