Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

not sure what to do at this point
Feb 21, 2011

I have hiv and Hep C. My Hiv is managing on its own without treatment. The Hep C treatment was going well. No side effects and the viral load has been non dectable for several months. I have 2 months of treatment left and the hep c viral load is now at 21,000. What should I do? My doctor said to stop treatment and wait for the new medication. I only have 2 months of treatment left, I dont see the harm in continuing. Would it still work?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your doctor is absolutely right. there is no point of continuing once your virus breaks through.

However, there are new medications on the horizon and since you responded initially and did well at first, you will be an excellent candidate for treatment with triple therapy.

Hang in there. It is quite disappointing I know. But you should do well in the near future.

If your CD4 T cells are less than 500 cells, I would also consider treating your HIV before starting HCV treatment again.

Previous
Latest bloods
Next
Confused, please offer your advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.