HCV infection after soaking fresh cut finger in HCV positive blood.

I am a HCW and I placed a PICC on pt who is reactive to HCV ab and RIBA which says:Interpretation: POSITIVE. The RIBA demonstrates antibody reactivity against three HCV peptides, c100(p)/5-1-1(p), c33c, and c22(p). One additional HCV peptide, NS5, is nonreactive

Lt was a difficult PICC and took about 2 hrs. and when I removed my gloves my index finger was soaked in blood and I realized that i had multiple cold cuts in the same finger. They were all very sensitive and burns on applying purell hand sanitizer.the blood could have seeped in from a hole in the glove. I washed off my finger but i am concerned because I may have soaked my fingers for more than an hr. Am I at risk for HCV and is there anything I can do at this point? Thanks, Nancy

I would get HCV antibody testing to prove that you are negative. Then I would follow your HCV RNA testing at about 4 to 6 weeks to be certain you did not become infected. I would also see your employee health service for further advice to protect yourself since this was a work-related event.

However, you should know that if you DO become infected, your chance of clearing HCV virus is extraordinarily high in acute infection.

help me
hep c