CV Genotype 3B- in continuation to my q on 26- Nov-10

26.Nov.10 Old Query: I have been diagnosed incidentally for HEP C genotype 3b and my viral load is 407302 copies/ mL in the PCR Test (gene amplification technique (ROCHE Cobas- Amplicor HCV version 2.0.)) Is this a high load. Currently being treated with Ribavarin(600mg twice a day) and Pegasys (once a week).

7.Feb.11 New Query: Touch Wood, as advised by you regarding my mail dated 26. Nov. 2010, my 4th week PCR was <15UL/ ml but said positive. (1) What does this mean? I am very confused and very anxious to receive your valuable advice in this regard.

It appears that you have achieved a rapid virologic response defined as <50 copies of virus at the 4 week time point. You have an excellent chance of cure. You should discuss the length of treatment with your physician. If you are doing well and tolerating the therapy, I would favor 6 months. If not, and you are having many side effects, you could consider a shorter time period of 4 months.

If you have advanced liver disease (eg, cirrhosis) I would go for 6 months of treatment.

Usually we treat genotype 3 with 400 mg twice daily of ribavirin. Your physician may have a reason as to why he/she is giving a higher dose. I would inquire....

Best regards....

Hepatitis C and sex-CONFUSED AND SCARED
PLEASE PLEASE