Chances of curing acute Hepatitis C

Hi, I have read anywhere from 5%-80% cure rate of acute hepatitis c, depending on what strain you have. Could you please give me numbers that you are aware of? My mom is 50 and I am 24 years old. We came into contact with a person that looked like he was a heavy drug user, he had fresh blood on his hands and me and my mom had cuts on our hands and we all used the same pen. I want to get a NAT PCR RNA test done at 3 weeks after exposure so I can start treatment right away. I have slight tiredness, mild ichyness and severe joint pain at times. Me and my mom both got shoulder pains on the same 2 days. I am very worried and if you can provide me with some statistics and preferred treatment that would be great. Thanks in advance Barbara!

Persons who have just been infected with HCV can sometimes clear the virus on their own. In our own group of patients that we have been studying, about 40 percent clear without treatment.

That is why it is important to follow HCV RNA levels over a short time period to first see if the person will clear their acute HCV on their own.

If not, then rapid initiation of treatment can lead to cure in the vast majority of patients. Studies vary on that exact number....These variations probably have to do with the duration of time the patients have had their infection before treatment.

However, I am very hopeful that you have not been infected and all this information will be just that - information to keep you informed.

Best regards....

Hepatitus c and false positive.
hep c infection