Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

do i have hepatitis?
Jan 22, 2011

Hi, i got diagnosed about a month ago, cd4 244, VL 81000. I am also anti-HepA IgG positive and anti HepB neg about a year ago (work tests). However recent tests show HepB surface antigen at 0,49 UI/L and HepB total anti-core at 1,91. What do these result mean? do i have hepatitis? my physician says is in the normal range but nothing else. Right now im just taking trimethropim/sulpha as profilaxis but no ART, is it necessary to start right away?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Since I don't know the reference range for your exact laboratory, you will want to see if the reading on the hepatitis B surface antigen test is "non-reactive as your doctor suggests.

You have evidence of past hepatitis A infection, which does not cause chronic liver disease.

You also need hepatitis C testing so be certain to get that.

Yes, you certainly want to discuss initiating HIV medications....You want to get your CD4 up and your HIV viral load down.

Previous
hepatitis B terminology
Next
Please help Pregnant and very scared and not sleeping >>>>>>>>>>

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.