Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

toothbrush mixup - so concerned and would appreciate your advice!
Jan 12, 2011

My mother received a blood transfusion around 1980-81 after an ectopic pregnancy and hasn't wanted to get tested for Hep C despite the risk in those years. She says she feels healthy despite my explanation that Hep C doesn't always demonstrate symptoms for many years.

My mother is visiting us for the holidays and today we realized that she confused her toothbrush with my husband's and has been using his toothbrush by accident. I am so afraid that my husband has now come into contact with Hep C. This was an innocent accident, but I am now feeling so incredibly concerned and anxious.

What are the chances of transmission in this way? Should we go to the doctor immediately?

Thank you for your help!

Response from Dr. McGovern

I agree that she should certainly have testing for HCV...

The risk of transmission through a toothbrush is highly unlikely. I don't recommend sharing toothbrushes with others, but would not test for HCV based on this one event.

Previous
HCV
Next
Is this a risk

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.