toothbrush mixup - so concerned and would appreciate your advice!

My mother received a blood transfusion around 1980-81 after an ectopic pregnancy and hasn't wanted to get tested for Hep C despite the risk in those years. She says she feels healthy despite my explanation that Hep C doesn't always demonstrate symptoms for many years.

My mother is visiting us for the holidays and today we realized that she confused her toothbrush with my husband's and has been using his toothbrush by accident. I am so afraid that my husband has now come into contact with Hep C. This was an innocent accident, but I am now feeling so incredibly concerned and anxious.

What are the chances of transmission in this way? Should we go to the doctor immediately?

Thank you for your help!

I agree that she should certainly have testing for HCV...

The risk of transmission through a toothbrush is highly unlikely. I don't recommend sharing toothbrushes with others, but would not test for HCV based on this one event.

Is this a risk