Hep C from haemodialysis?

Hi there, At the beginning of the year I contracted Haemolytic Uremic Syndrome and required two weeks of haemodialysis, nine blood transfusions and plasma exchange. I did get tested for HIV and Hep C about five months after the fact, which was negative for both. But I am still concerned because I am pregnant and read recently that people recieving haemodialysis should be tested for Hep C? Why is that? Is there an increased risk? Plus, was five months enough time to have the testing done? Thanks for taking the time to answer my question :)

Yes hemodialysis is a risk factor for HCV infection. However, you were tested at 5 months and have been negative so you are in good standing. The official testing time goes out for 6 months, but I would consider 5 months of follow-up sufficient.

Is Hepatitis C considered an STD?
Transmission of HCV Likely?