Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Acute Hepatitis post window period/sero conversion
Dec 22, 2010

Hi Barbara, I very much appreciate your service for this entire world to give valuable information on HIV. Through archives, I understood window period for HIV can be extended till 1 year if coinfection of HIV and Hepatitis happens during exposure. But my doubt is, after window period of HIV(ie., 6 months), In another exposure, if a person acute hepatitis C or B or A 1. Is there any possibility, sero conversion to be changed/altered because of this NEW hepatitis acqusition? 2. Whether the person needs to wait for one more year to get comfirm result of HIV negative? 3. In my case, I had an exposure for HIV 2 years before. But, if I acute Hepatitis C or B or A anywhere in the past 3 or 6 months(Since I am getting symtoms of hepatitis now) will it alter/change already completed/finished HIV sero conversion? If I test now, will it give 100% corect result?

Please clarify my doubts and give me some peace of mind.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. McGovern

The same issue applies. If you are diagnosed with acute HCV infection, you will need further follow-up testing for HIV. However, the symptoms of hepatitis are very nonspecific, so I would not jump to any conclusions without blood testing.

Previous
Hep B Vaccine not working
Next
Liver Ultrasound and ALT normal always !

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.