Clear HCV after 1 year infection?

Hi Barbara I was diagnosed with HEP C (genotupe 1 ) in October 09, I think I caught it in August 09. I have been tested recently, October 10, with a VL (HCV) of 228. Before this,in January 10, my VL was log 5.67. Aparently the VL has gone down, but my doctor does not think I can clear the virus by myself. So I will start treatment in Feb 11. Is it still posible to clear the virus by myself? As the VL went from log 5.67 to 232

If I am understanding you correctly, you think you were infected in 8/09; about 5 months later your viral load was 5 logs (eg, about 500,000) and then it declined to 228 copies/mL. This is consistent with recent HCV infection. (Clinical Infectious Diseases, McGovern et al)

I would certainly check this again before starting therapy! You may be clearing. I have seen patients clear late, but even if you do, you will continue to need another follow up to be certain that this is durable.

If you viral load is still detectable but is very low, you may need just a short course of therapy for about 12 weeks. There are very little data on this...If you are sailing through therapy you may wan to go for the full 6 months. It is also important to understand that the optimal duration of HCV treatment is not known.

HCV Transmission
hepatitis