Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HCV Genotype 3B
Nov 26, 2010

I have been diagonised incidantally for HEP C genotype 3b and my viral load is 407302 copies/ mL in the PCR Test(gene amplification technique(ROCHE Cobas- Amplicor HCV version 2.0.)) Is this a high load. Currently being treated with Ribavarin(600mg twice a day) and Pegasys (once a week).

1. I do not remember how or when I had made contact with this virus. I am an occational drinker, non smoker (Stopped since 13 yrs but I chew now)and have not had sex with any other woman except my wife. Is there any way to find out how long this virus has been in by body. 2. What should be the viral count during the 4th week test. It is 2 weeks since I have started the treatment. 3. What is 100% curing rate for this type of HCV infection. Awaiting your valuable reply in this regard. 4. Also, please advise the diet I should be following for the rest of my life.

Response from Dr. McGovern

There are some people who do not have clear risk factors for HCV acquisition. Think of whether you ever had a blood transfusion in the past (before 1992) or a tattoo (outside of a regular tattoo parlor) or even a bloody fistfight with someone who may have had HCV (There is one case report of trauma that was published).

Your viral load will hopefully come down to no detectable virus by week 4...That happens in about 2/3 of patients with Genotype 2 or 3 infections. If this occurs, then your chance of obtaining a sustained response is quite high (eg, greater than 80 percent). Your overall chance of this is quite high since your viral load is relatively low compared to most people.

I would ask your doctor why you are getting weight-based ribavirin. Some doctors use this dose if they are trying to treat you for a shorter duration...otherwise the more standard dose is 400 mg twice daily.

Previous
HIV to AIDS immune system
Next
HEP C Testing Window

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.