Hep B surface antibody non reactive

my daughter age 14 was immunized at birth against hep b. she got hepatitis A but the hep B surface antigen showed borderline positive in her case. also her hep b surface antibody was nonreactive 6.85. what does this mean?

I would discuss this with her pediatrician and would recommend that your pediatrician speak to the the laboratory director to find out if a confirmatory test was performed for the hepatitis B surface antigen. This test always requires confirmation.

Her surface antibody is <10 so it is non protective; However, the level is 6.85 so there is some suggestion of low reactivity.

I am not sure why she was immunized at birth; if her mother was a chronic carrier of HBV then more follow up testing is required, including a HBV DNA to try to sort out her laboratory results.

9 months test negative
hope you are well