Hepatitis B

My husband is Filipino and was born in PI. He has been a U.S. citizen since age 3. He received the complete Hep B series for vaccinations and also had a positive test for immunity following. He is currently being evaluated for high GGT levels in his blood. If he was positive for Hep B from birth and it was never known, would it be possible for him to still show positive immunity from the HBSab titer test? Better said, is it possible to show positive immunity from the Hep B surface antibody test following vaccinations even when you are already infected? If he were already infected and it was unknown, would he show the same results from receiving the complete vaccination series and having a surface antibody titer drawn as someone who is not infected but also received the same care? I am just trying to make sense of all of this and waiting for lab results and doctor appointments to get peace of mind is nerve-wracking. We find it hard to believe he would be positive for the illness but also be known to have positive immunity. Please advise. Thank you so much for your time!!

You ask good questions. If he had chronic infection from birth, he would not respond to a vaccine with a reactive surface antibody...That would not happen.

So I suspect he has another reason for an elevation in his liver tests....it could be secondary to a whole range of possibilities - like another viral infection, medications, or even a fatty liver. Or it might just resolve on the next blood test.

I would not worry excessively until you get to speak to the doctor...

HBV DNA RESULT
inquiry about blood test