Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBV PCR/DNA vs HIV PCR, this confused me,need your advise!?
Oct 17, 2010

hello dr: sorry for my poor english i am a young man from China. my story is here: last year i had a risk exposure for hiv ,then i went to test with hiv-antibody tests 5 times over the 8 months after the exposure and all came back negative.But i was still worried after,so i came to search some posts on thebody.com to check if i need a hiv pcr to make me feel better,and then i found all the Dr said my last 5 antibody tests were conclusive ,no way to get infected and HIV PCR test is not recommended.

Now i had some new questions: I read some websites in China,and they said some people may get HBV infected but test all negative with routine HBV screening test (like test for HBsAg,HbsAb,HbcAb sort of) and then they tested HBV PCR/DNA positive ,and defined these people get some "hidden infection" or"dormant infection"for HBV,and these websites recommended people should get HBV PCR/DNA test also to make sure their hbv status. Now i am worried again,how could these people tested HBV all negative with routine way but positive by the HBV PCR? dose it mean some people may get Hiv infected but always tested hiv antibody test negative and may test positive by the hiv pcr? do i need hiv pcr? why HBV test need pcr to be sure?

Response from Dr. McGovern

THe hepatitis B testing story you refer to is "occult HBV" and it is quite uncommon. No I would not extrapolate this testing issue to HIV. You are done with testing.

Previous
Treatment suggestion for Hepatitis C virus
Next
hep b medicine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.