HCV Positive A

Hi, During a routine HIV monitoring checkup, I tested positive for HCV. Tested twice for viral load, which is undetectable. Recently saw a specialist who ran tests, which I recieved copies og 1 month prior to his appointment to discuss the results. I don't understand the results. HCV AB 11.0 High S/Co Ratio 0.0-0.9 Test Abnormal Reference Anti-HCV Positive A Negative I have looked online and I can't find any references to "positive A" and what does the negative reference mean? Thank you for looking at this.

I myself have never heard of "Positive A" and would have your doctor contact the laboratory manager to get an explanation for you.

However, the good news is that although your HCV antibody is strongly positive, you do not have detectable virus. You certainly want to keep it this way, so you don't want any further exposures.

Discuss with your doctor all the possible ways of acquiring HCV infection...If there are no risk factors whatsoever... (eg, traumatic rectal sex, injection drugs, intranasal snorting of cocaine with shared straws, etc...) then I would consider getting a RIBA test to be certain the antibody test is a true positive.

If you do have risk factors, discuss how to decrease your future risks, since HCV antibody is not protective. You can get infected again and the next time you may develop chronic infection....Something you certainly want to avoid!

Also be certain to be immunized against HAV and HBV.

Undetectable for 1 year then went to 78 copies. CO Infection of Hep B
please answer!!!