occupational risk...

Hi Barbara,

I started to work as an EMT and left it shortly and switched occupation. However 3 weeks ago I witnessed a severe car crash and helped the driver who had a hemorrhage and needed compression with no gloves. While attending I got a cut in my wrist I didn't notice until a couple days later with the metal of the car. I've got my tetanus vaccine up to date and I never completed the 3rd dose of hep B vaccine, though it's been less than a year from the second one. I'm concerned due to a severe colitis I've been having and some malaise. (White tongue, gastritis, constipation and diarrhea, etc) PLUS the patient is a trasvesti (or a drag queen the way he was dressed, no offense to anyone) I explored myself and my liver is not feeling swollen at all. Could this be something to be concerned??? Can u get mild like symptoms on the 1st week after the event? Please I need your opinion. I just moved countries and i'm scared...thanks...

Firstly, you should be commended that you stopped to help a victim of a car crash. You obviously save this person's life.

I think that since you cut your skin and you had blood exposure, most doctors would recommend follow-up of routine testing for blood-borne viruses. I would go to a local clinic near to you for routine monitoring. None of your symptoms are concerning regarding hepatitis B or C or HIV. These are more likely related to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis.

one year after baraclude
Reply: I thnik I may have Hep C