surface antibodies negative

i tested negative for hep b surface antibodies about 10 months possible exposure. so i am not immune. but does this mean that i did not ever have hep b recently or does it mean i never had hep b in my life? my question is how long do the surface antibodies stay in the body? are they detectable for years? i really want to know if I have been infected before. also the surface antibodies are not a good test for chronic form of hep b is that correct?

If I understand correctly, you had a recent exposure and want to know if you were infected. If that is the case, then you would be testing for hepatitis B core antibody (anti-HBc) or hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg).

If you think you are protected from hepatitis B infection because of past immunization, you would want to check your surface antibody.

If all your tests are negative, then it is a good time to plunge into immunization to keep you safe from infection.

BIG VIRAL LOAD
Hep B vaccination and Hep B surface Ag