Confused about lab results

I was pregnant 2 years ago and tested negative for Hep B. I am pregnant again and now tested positive for Hep B surface Ag w/reflex confirm. I have not put myself at any risk in the past 2 years so was shocked by this result. Further tests were performed: Hep Be Antigen=Negative, Hep B antibody=Negative, Hep B Core Ab IgM=Negative, Hep B Surface AB Qual=Negative, No Viral DNA detected and Hepatic Panel all normal. what is the meaning of all this? Could this be a false positive?

You need to have a Hep B core IgG antibody performed. If this is negative, I would really wonder about the validity of the surface antigen test. Without risk factors, I would simply repeat it.

While you have no DNA in your blood, the risk to your baby is near zero. However, I question the diagnosis of HBV in the first place.

The worst that could happen for your baby if the infection is real (which I doubt it is) he or she will need a hepatitis B vaccine series at birth.

My best to you and your baby...

hepa b treatment
hepatitis b