Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

** VERY VERY CRITICAL ** ----->>> MY case regarding HCV "" Very critical please helpp ""
Sep 21, 2010

Please help me in my case regarding HCV . I have already informed you that i got HCV PCR -ve after initial positive PCR result. I have one question please help me in it .

I had fear over hcv exposure, to which you did not recommend testing . For my peace of mind i took hcv PCR at 4 weeks after exposure which came +ve . after it PCR test at 8th week came back as -ve. the sensitivity of the pcr is about 50IUs/ml.

I thought first pcr is false positive . But some say that i may have beed infected and the viral load may have dropped low to be detected . Should i undergo pcr test again ?

I have also had liver enzyme test at 4th, 7th and 10th week post exposure all of which showed normal liver enzyme levels.

My exposure incident was , i underwent a bloodwork in inida. where they used a fresh syring to prick my finger and i touched finger on a glass plate ( glass plate was just washed ONLY in water and reused by lab the lab) to give a drop of blood on glass plate for testing. But when i touched the plate it was completely dry and did not have any visible stains of blood.

following hcv +ve pcr, Is 3 normal liver enzyme test and hcv pcr -ve enough to say i am free form hcv or should i undergo one more pcr to ensure my infection status and early treatmend ?

help me doctor

Response from Dr. McGovern

If you had previously been truly PCR positive for HCV infection (eg, not a false positive) and you TRULY had infection, your hepatitis C antibody should ALSO be positive.

If you recently acquired HCV infection (eg, acute HCV), I would have expected you to have hepatitis with elevated liver function tests (which you do not have).

If you have had a negative antibody test - you are negative for HCV. No more testing should be done.

If you only had PCR testing, you are overdue for a serologic test (eg, HCV antibody).

Previous
let me hear from you plz quickly
Next
Liver Friendly HIV Medications

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.