Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried...Risk Of HBV/HIV co-infection..Help!
Sep 1, 2010

Dear Dr.McGovern;

3 weeks ago i quite foolishly engaged in unclothed dry fondling followed by a 10 minute "hand-job" and "boob-job" using a condom (which may or may not have failed, i'm not sure) with a commercial sex worker. There was no oral/anal or vaginal penetration however there was a second or two of contact between her hand (possibly wet with her vaginal fluid) and my inflamed/irritated scrotal skin. Main symptoms i have had so far are loss of "fluid/mass" around most of my joints and feet. And intermittent lymph node & joint pain all over various nodes of my body especially the thymus area. lot of intermittent discomfort and irritation there. I cant jog anymore since possible exposure due to this thymic area "exhaustive pain/discomfort" which gets worse with exercise. I can only walk!

PLease let me know my risks for having contracted HBV/HIV co-infection. Do i need testing, if so then when, as i am at 3 weeks post exposure right now with no seroconversion illness thus far.

Since i am married, i am concerned about risks to my wife as we were trying to have a child, can we continue unprotected sex or abstain/practice safe sex till testing?

Many thanks, Robin, 27, from india.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Sounds like you are at extremely low risk....I would not recommend testing for this type of exposure.

Previous
hepa b medicine and treatment
Next
HIV and liver inflamation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.