worried about exposure

my brother has hbv and hcv combined. tuesday i accidentally started to take a drink out of his staw. i did not swallow and rinsed and spit but should i be worried about contracting it. also what is the combo of hbv and hcv called. thanks so much.

I would not worry about this event at all. I would avoid razors and brushing your teeth with the same toothbrush. We like to avoid using the same toothbrush since brushing teeth can be associated with gum bleeding.

In general, if you live with your brother, it would be reasonable just to have your doctor check whether you had your hepatitis B vaccine in the past and whether you have any protective antibodies left. If not, I would just get a booster. If you have never been vaccinated, it is reasonable to get this done.

There is no special name for the combination of HCV and HBV.

hepatitis vaccination
STD Testing window