Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

##### Living with someone with hcv ####
Jul 21, 2010

I am living with a friend sharing a house . He has just beed diagnosed with HCV. I am frightened about it . I am not planning to leave the room but I have few things that worries me . Can you please help me ? If there was some INVISIBLE BLOOD on door handle , on tabletop , or on somethings that I touch and if I have some open wound would it infect me ? What are the risk of hcv form these things ? This things makes me very afraid to live in the room , because I have just read that HCV can live for 4 days outside body ? so will invisible blood on doorknob , where virus can be active for 4 days , can it cause HCV to me ( because i have wounds on my hand frequently due to gym works and such things )?

Response from Dr. McGovern

Persons do not get HCV just from living with another person who is infected.

If HCV was as easy to get by the ways you describe, we would all be infected.

HCV spreads through blood to blood contact (eg, through sharing injection drugs, or through traumatic sex).

I would recommend that you do NOT share razors or toothbrushes. That would be my main recommendation.

Previous
hepatitis b
Next
Can HCV be tranmitted in this way??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.