Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AST=169, ALT=98
Jul 19, 2010

Hi, I am HIV positive since May 2008. My first CD4 count was 650 and they keep fluctuating. I am now back to 700. My viral load is 134. I am not taking any medication, as my doctor insists that the longer we delay the treatment , the better it will be for my future health. My last test shows very high levels od AST (169) and ALT (98) as well as Albumin (52). I was vaccinated against Hepatitis A and B 10 years ago and have created antibodies.As for Hepatitis C, I haven't had any sexual relations for the last 2 years, which makes it very difficult to have gotten it. 5 months ago these levels were in the 20's. As for my lifestyle: I do not drink, I don't smoke, I follow a healthy balanced diet and I exercise regularly.I am 40 years old, by the way. What do you reccomend I do? WHat can this high levels mean??? Thanks a lot and congratualtions on this great site. Tony form Spain

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would get tested for HCV antibodies and HCV RNA regardless of whether you think you are at risk. I am concerned about the elevations of AST and ALT which are significant.

When I see this pattern of ALT elevation (eg, AST greater than ALT) I usually consider alcohol injury. However, your lifestyle does NOT suggest this....

I would also ask for testing for diabetes, insulin resistance, and triglycerides and cholesterol, which are risk factors for fatty liver disease.

I would also pursue evaluation for other kinds of liver disease such as hemochromatosis. You may need an evaluation for chronic liver disease by a hepatologist if no diagnosis can be obtained by laboratory evaluation and your liver tests remain elevated. You need a careful history and examination and you may need a liver biopsy in the future.

Previous
HepB & HIV Baraclude/Truvada/Isentress
Next
hepatitis b

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.