Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

dejected , ITS HELL :***** "" ONLY YOU CAN HELP "" ***** : Can it be fasle positive PCR?
Jul 7, 2010

( Its a long post please help me , i have not to talk about it , Believe me i am not obsessing ) I have already posted my question here and got your reply thanks. But Now things are changed . Please help me again, In my country I have none to talk about HCV.

My pcr result says HCV RNA DETECTED on 28th day of my exposure.

Recently i was worried about exposure of HCV , I posted the exposure. You said HCV cannot come this way . Again i will say shorly. (Some say i am obsessing .. Really not In india these things used to happen ) I went to lab for blood test. There they reuse the slide , which is used for taking the blood . I came to know from technician there they used to wash the slide only in Running water. They don't even use chemicals. I was really shocked. While I went to lab , they pricked my finger with FRESH syringe ( I saw them opening new one ) and made me touch the plate for one second with pinprick bleeding to get blood on that plate.

But when i touched plate was very dry and no stains of blood was there.

I My HCV AB is negative and Liver function tests was normal.

Can this cause me HCV , Just touching the reusable slide ( washed by water )with pinprick blood on hand for one second .

And one more thing about my testing . I gave the test to a lab and on fourth day i called them for result. They said that they are going to run the PCR test . But After 3 Hours they called me and said the results .

Can this test be done in just 3 hours ?

Please help me. I am very sacared. Can this reuslt be false positive.

I had soar throat recently.

Please Help me .Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. McGovern

False positive testing can occur depending on the quality of the laboratories testing procedures.

Since you were HCV antibody negative, you have a few months to figure this out. We never treat acute HCV right away because up to about 40 percent clear the virus on their own.

I also would still doubt that touching a glass plate was a route for infection.

I would get a quantitative HCV test to see the results. You have obtained a qualitative test.

Previous
Fatty liver and HBV !
Next
Vaccination against HAV and HBV under therapy (Isentress and Truvada)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.