Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can HCV shorten HIV incubation period?
Jul 4, 2010

Hello doc. i Was diagnosed with HCV in 2006, negative for HIV (test was given approximately 7 months after last risky behavior).. i am confident that after 4 years of no symptoms (or risky behavior) and a negative HIV test shortly after the 24 week window (for co infection), i am free of HIV, up until yesterday. I had oral sex while wearing a condom but i cut myself shaving in a particular area below the condom.. she is 19 and seems to be very low risk (however i know sores or cuts in mouth can transfer virus into my razor cut).. the day after, i felt somewhat fatigued, and the day after that i developed sinusitis (with yellow mucous) on the right side, which later in the day spread and developed into a sore throat (on the right side)..Being paranoid, i am afraid it COULD be HIV infection, even though acute HIV infection probably never happens within less than 24 hours after initial exposure..(that means incubation was less than 24 hours?).. are my worries for HIV infection exaggerated?.. also, could my untreated HCV (with very low viral load and strong immune system) shorten the incubation period for HIV? ...i should also note that the day before my initial symptoms, I discovered A LOT of black mold under our sink, and shower, (im sure i agitated it when i cleaned it out, making the spores airborne) so there are other possible causes for my illness that seem very likely... I just got really paranoid when i read that pharyngitis is a common symptom of acute HIV infection.. Thanks for your rational insight, because it seems that i don't have enough of it ha..

Response from Dr. McGovern

No HCV infection would not alter your incubation period of viremia. I would not attribute any of your symptoms within a 24 hour period to HIV.

Previous
hiv hipatitis b,c
Next
Occupational Hepatitis C exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.