HIV and Hep B Infection through Skin

Hi. I was trying to start an IV line of a patient the other day. I was able to insert the venoset at the heplock(this was used instead of a IV catheter) but the infusion did not flow as quickly as its supposed to be. When I removed the venoset from the heplock some of the IV fluid squirted and landed on my hands. There was no visible blood but i was only able to infuse a few mL of the IV fluid maybe less than 50 cc.

I used 70& rubbing alcohol right away and did handwashing only after 5 minutes of the incident. I didn't have any cuts or break in the skin at that time. Can i possibly get HIV, HEP B or other infections through this route? The patient had Pneumocystic Pneumonia and is suspected to have HIV/Tuberculosis.

It would quite unlikely to get HIV, HBV, or HCV through this exposure.

In the future, you should report all employee health exposures....

reactive hep C
Hepatitis B