What are the chances of going from undetectable to relapse & continuing treatment to undetectable again?

I am coinfected with HIV & Hep C genotype 1. Was diagnosed with HIV back in 1997 but have been undetectable with high CD4 since treatment. In April last year I was diagnosed with Hep C. They waited for 3 months before starting treatment with ribavirin and interferon in hope I would clear the virus without treatment. However, the virus was still present. In October last year I started treatment and by end of March this year I was undetectable. However, I got tested again at the end of May and the result came back detectable with a viral load of 384. My doctor has said come back in a month to retest. But she has advised me to to be prepared that the treatment on the medication might have failed. I am devastated with the news especially going from undetectable to detectable on treatment. I am still living in hope that the test result was incorrect. But I would like to know what the chances of going back to undetectable after coming back to detectable on the treatment? If this is unlikely what would the next step be? Can I start this new treatment of telaprevir with interferon & ribavirin. I hear positive resluts and wonder if i can go on the trials. I just so want to clear this virus. Thanks for taking the time to read. Much appreciated. Kind regards.

Trials are being conducted now in HIV/HCV coinfected patients with triple therapy so that the safety and efficacy of these new HCV drugs can be assessed in patients with dual infection.

By judging from what we have seen in patients with HCV alone who have entered these telaprevir trials, you would be a perfect candidate for treatment with triple therapy because you DID respond so nicely in the first place to two-drug therapy. This is exactly the type of patient who does respond well to these new therapies.

I know it may discouraging that you will need retreatment, but I think you will have a good outcome in the future to come!

Ophthalmologist
Hep C from scratch